If you've never heard of a salad being the star of the show, you've never served this salad!
- 1 head bib or lettuce of choice
- 1 tsp. clarified butter
- 1 pink grapefruit
- Dash of salt
- 1 ½ avocado, ripe
- ¾ tsp chili powder
- 1½ oz. pecan halves
- Poppy seed dressing
1. Without tearing the lettuce leaves, gently remove them from the heads. Wash the leaves. Break off the tough part of the rib from the bottom of each leaf. Drain the leaves and dry them. Refrigerate cleaned leaves.
2. Peel the grapefruit, cut them into supremes and refrigerate.
3. Cut and pit the avocados, then slice them into wedges.
4. Lightly toast the pecans in a sauté pan with the butter, salt and chili powder.
5. Arrange the larger leaves of lettuce on salad plates. Place the smaller leaves in the center of each plate. Arrange grapefruit and avocado around the lettuce mounds in an alternating fashion. Garnish with toasted pecan halves. Ladle poppy seed dressing over salad immediately before serving.
If you'd like to download this recipe, click here.